Social Sectors Development Strategic Plan Review Adviser
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Second Chance Education Project
Grant Nos: P116520
Expressions of Interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank towards the cost of the Second Chance Education Project (SCEP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding: Social Sectors Development Strategic Plan Review Adviser.
A key function of the Consultant will be to help office of Ministry of State Coordinating Social Affairs in reviewing the Social Sector Strategic Plan including Education Sector where covers Recurrent Education (Social Action/Equity). The consultant will also be required to develop strategic recommendations for the improvement of Social Sector Strategic Plan that will respond to the actual needs. The position will thus combine advisory, operational and training roles.
The responsibilities of the Consultant will include, but not limited to:
A. Support on the Review of Social Sector Strategic Plan
1. Prepare an effective monitoring and evaluation mechanism for the implementation of Social Sector Development Strategic Plan which covers all social sector including the following areas; Health, education, Social Assistance for youth and sport, promotion of women’s Social-economic, National Commission of HIV/SIDA eradication, National Commission of Child rights, and National Commission of Combatants and veternas affairs), to ensure effective attainment of the objectives;
2. Carry out a timely analysis on the implementation of Social Sector Strategic Plan which covers areas of Health, education, Social Assistance to youth and sport, promotion of women’s Social-economic, National Commission on the elimination of HIV/SIDA, National Commission of Child rights, and National Commission of Combatants and veternas;
3. Finalize the review of the plan with strategic recommendation considered as second phase of the plan for the Ministry Coordinating of Social Affairs (MECAS) whose scope shall cover priorities and activities of all lines ministeries and other relevant social sectors ageincies;
B. Finalization of Second Phase of Social Sector Strategic Plan
4. Organize workshops to disseminate findings and recommendation of the analysis with line ministries and relevant social sector agencies;
5. Prepare a draft social sector development strategic plan (Second phase) as a proposal based on the input provided at the previous workshop with line ministries and other relevant agencies;
6. Help MECAS to develop an implementation plan and regular Monitoring and Evaluation mechanism (M&E Instruments and Tools) on the implementation of the revised plan;
7. Help MECAS to define strategies in building the links with other entities and focal points of the line ministries and other relevant agencies to evaluate and monitor the attainment of the pertinent activities included in the Social Sector Strategic Plan;
8. Support MECAS with regular monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the plan and develop standard report used to report against the achievement for policy decision and improvement purposes;
9. Perform other tasks as required
1. Insertion report for the period of the contract;
2. Advisory notes, reviews, assessments and policy papers;
3. Revised (First Phase) Social Sector Strategic with recommendation for second phase available for discussion at first workshop;
4. Revised Social Sector Strategic Plan available with clear indicators of the expected outputs and intermediate outcomes;
5. Developed short- and mid-term action plans to implement the Social Sector Strategic Plan with effective M&E tools and instruments available to support the implementation of the revised Plan;
6. Developed and socialized PAF, a logical framework entailing monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems, and monitoring and evaluation tools, methods and procedures;
The assignment is planned for 4 person-months and expected to start in August 2016.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
1. University level degree in Public Sector Management, Business Administration or other relevant area (a Master’s Degree is highly desirable);
2. Demonstrable experience of at least 7 years in implementing or advising on public sector reform processes, management strengthening and leadership development;
3. Experience in the Social Sector, at national and/or regional and district level will be considered an advantage;
4. Profound knowledge and skills for development and managing action plans, and monitoring and evaluation systems;
5. Specific knowledge and skills in monitoring impact of capacity building/organizational change programs;
6. Proficiency in English, Portuguese and Tetun;
7. Ability to manage work in a high presure environment
The successful candidate shall be offered a standard remuneration package according to rates for this level of specialization.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Second Chance Education Project at the address given below or visit Ministry’s website at: https:
The email subject heading must be: Social Sectors Development Strategic Plan Review Adviser.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below or e-mailed to email@example.com by 1st August 2016.
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili